Head Chef Jobs Available
in Your Area!
Are you searching for a head chef gig? If so, you have come to the right place. With the increase of head chef positions projected to increase by an incredible 15% from 2021 to 2031, it’s safe to say there are plenty of these jobs available for you to choose from. Once you download our app, you’ll be able to connect with restaurants, caterers, and other food service establishments that are hiring in your area.
What Does a Head Chef Do?
Head chefs can work in a variety of different locations ranging from restaurants and catering companies to hotels and cruise lines. Being head chef involves more than just knowing how to cook. The chef is responsible for a wide variety of tasks including:
- Creating and planning rotating menus and daily specials
- Managing inventory and food costs
- Creating prep lists for kitchen staff
- Ensuring food is rotated and stored properly
- Complying with all applicable health codes and regulations
- Ensuring that only quality food leaves the kitchen
- Leading, managing, and mentoring kitchen staff
- Developing cleaning and maintenance schedules for all kitchen equipment, storage, and work areas
- Actively participating in the hiring process of kitchen staff
- Creating work schedules for kitchen staff
Skills Needed to Become a Great Head Chef
While some employers require a culinary degree, many head chefs get their start with a high school diploma and relevant culinary arts’ work experience. However, it takes more than a degree or ample experience in the food and service industry to become a successful head chef. It also requires mastering multiple skill sets including:
- Flexibility: You need to be able to adapt to the requests of your customers
- Responsibility and Accuracy: You must ensure your dishes are created the way they were ordered, that your food hits the accurate temperature, and that proper safety and hygiene steps are taken at all times.
- Planning: A great head chef plans ahead for menus, events, and potential issues that could arise in the kitchen.
- Research: Culinary trends come and go. A seasoned head chef needs to be able to adapt to changing culinary directions and continuously learn about new flavor combinations and ingredients.
- Consistency: A successful head chef puts passion and effort into every dish. Each day in the kitchen should be as important as the day before, as well as the one after.
- Creativity: A head chef is an artist in their own right. They aren’t afraid to try new ingredients or culinary trends, and they are always up for putting an unconventional spin on traditional dishes
Find Your Next Head Chef Gig With BenchConnect
BenchConnect makes finding your next head chef job as simple as 1, 2, 3. All you need to do is:
- Download our smartphone app
- Register (no paperwork required!)
- Schedule a face-to-face interview with one of our knowledgeable placement experts who will match you with the perfect head chef gig in your area
It’s that easy! Whether you are looking for a full time career as a head chef, executive sous chef or simply want to try out related job types for a few weekends a month, BenchConnect will find the perfect fit for you. Don’t wait for a job to find you. Reach out to BenchConnect today!